View Single Post
Old 15-02-2012, 07:19 PM   #14
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint aka ML View Post
Wow so that rear brake setup .... any more details?
Well the caliper 'floats' better around the disc giving the same sort of effect as floating discs plus by being free on the axle and then held in place by the torque arm to the engine, any loading under braking is taken through the crankcase rather than the swingarm so the suspension is unaffected by heavy braking.

Ducati fitted this setup to the Monster 'S' IIRC.

However I doubt this translates as any real advantage, IIRC when they tested such setups on the 888 WSBK race bikes the results were inconclusive compared to the conventional setup, even at that level of rider ability. Subsequent SBK (916 on) don't have this setup either.

But just because we don't need or can't utilise something to it's full potential doesn't mean we don't want it.

I really like to look at and use items with a high degree of engineering in them - one of my favourite parts on my 916 are the Acculign rearsets, they have an amazingly engineered double eccentric adjustment system and yet (after the first setup) I never adjust them.

As for the ride height, I hope it'll be OK as I'm not planning on buying another shock.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote