Thread: New in Devon
View Single Post
Old 28-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #5
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Hello and welcome along.

As Nick says, the lumpiness at low speeds is a characteristic of an engine with a small number of big cylinders, giving fewer but bigger bangs than a multi cylinder motor with correspondingly smaller cylinders.
The solution (in my opinion) is to use the clutch more (and, by implication to retain a higher gear).
Particularly on slow turns around town etc, I often (ie nearly always) dip the clutch (without any intention of changing gear) just before opening the throttle to drive out of the turn.
This smooths out the lumpiness.
Keeping the chain well adjusted, without too much slack, and well lubed, will help somewhat.
The same techniques are required on my other bike, a 650 single, which has even fewer, even bigger bangs.

It is often suggested that fitting a smaller front sprocket (to lower the gearing) helps, but in my opinion this is exactly the opposite of what's required on a monster.

As you have probably discovered, early monsters are surprisingly easy to service and maintain.
Belt changes are sometimes feared but are actually dead simple to do.
The only really tricky job is checking and adjusting the valve clearances.
Even then, the checking is the easier of the two and adjustments are seldom required.
My 750 has never seen a dealer's workshop in nearly 30,000 miles.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote