View Single Post
Old 26-12-2020, 09:09 AM   #1303
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
The new side stand bracket was made from 4 pieces all welded together. 3 cut from some 100mm x 100mm x 5mm steel fence post and a 20mm bolt turned down to 18mm to provide the post the stand sits on. The first piece was drilled to match the crankcase mounting holes, the second was a triangular piece tack welded to the first to provide the separation from the crankcase and the angle for the third piece also tack welded on to hold the post. 10mm nuts welded to the third piece provide the stops for the stand
All the tack welding was done off the bike so that the welder did not fry the Ignitech unit or the Hall effect triggers for the ignition.
I took the precaution of marking up the original position of the foot of the stand on a block of wood clamped to the hydraulic bike stand so I could gauge where the foot mounted on my new bracket came to rest relative to the original. I also made the post that the stand sits on about 10mm longer so I could shim its position in or out.
This took a long time and tacks were made and broken and remade a number of times before I got the foot of the stand to sit approximately where the old one sat.
When I was reasonably happy I welded it all up. Expansion and contraction during welding caused it to move a bit from my best tacked position. it ended up about 20mm further forward than the foot of the original stand.

screen shots
The gear lever now clears comfortably and I think I can get it at an angle that will enable me to change gear satisfactorily.
There is about a 10mm gap between the foot and the floor at the moment which shall probably mean that I shall have to add a foot extension to the bottom but I shall leave that until the bike is off the bench and on the floor.

Last edited by 350TSS; 26-12-2020 at 09:42 AM..
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote