View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 04:46 PM   #1300
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
I fitted the fly-screen today and realised that the mounting arrangement I used during the dry build was far from ideal. The fly-screen has two 12mm diameter x 75mm long tubes bonded into the CF beneath the headlamp that locate inside two tubes mounted onto the bottom yoke. At the top 2 x 6mm bolts go through the instrument surround through a 20mm spacer andlocate into a male /female rubber isolation mount bolted onto two lugs bonded into the screen bit of the fly screen. The female part of the isolation mount only has about 6mm of thread depth into a blind hole.
My re-design requires male/male isolation mounts and the spacer to be threaded. All the isolation mounts I had in my stock are either too large in diameter, too long or far too stiff. P)reviously I have obtained isolation mounts from TME in Poland so completion of the job will have to wait a week or so for them to arrive.

Whilst I was fitting the fly screen I had to connect up the headlamp to fit it into the bowl. I obviously tried it out to check whether the fault with the dip/main beam had magically cured itself without any intervention on my part.
Oddly it had.
Although the fault recurred intermittently on subsequent tests.
I am leaning to the view that my dosing the LH switch gear with WD 40 to cure the stiff indicator part of the switch has actually caused the problem by coating the contacts within with an insulating layer of silicone. I shall buy some contact cleaner and dose the switch with that and see if that solves it completely.
The tank got rubbed down and re-painted and new larger decals have been ordered from Image Works, Moto Rapido no longer supply the Cagiva script fairing decals. Overall the finish on the tank is better than before but the places where the old smaller decals were removed along with the paint can be detected. I am hoping the new larger decals will make these blemishes less noticeable

Last edited by 350TSS; 09-12-2020 at 05:01 PM..
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote