View Single Post
Old 30-11-2020, 06:23 PM   #1297
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
After all that I finally started again on the Monster. I have in the past week repainted the tank, seat and fly screen and after about 3 rounds of painting rubbing down and re-painting (because I rubbed through the new paint) I have it in a condition where it is about as good as I can get it. It is not completely blemish free and is not quite as good as I would have hoped to get it. There is always a time/quality trade off when you do stuff yourself and traditionally I always have compromised quality for time and this is no exception. I could spend another 6 or 8 weeks and another £100 on more paint but the reality is my skill level would probably only enhance the finish by 2%.
The heaters are staying on in the garage tonight so I can put the first lacquer coat on tomorrow and then put the transfers on. The tranfers will be lacquered in subsequently
I decided to remake the instrument surround (originally in CF) as each time I changed the wiring new holes appeared in it to accommodate the changed wiring design. The result was that there were more blanking grommets than clean CF behind the instruments. I made this out of 3mm polypropylene "welded" together with a 35 watt soldering iron. The arc around the speedo had to be done in 2mm as the 3mm would not bend easily enough to fit.

Fitting the new instrument panel meant that the wiring had to be separated and re-connected to pass through the back of the panel (it was previously hard wired as there is no room for connectors behind the panel) and I took the opportunity to tidy it up.
The principle problem I had with the wiring was that I could not get the main beam to work when the switch was pushed. I could get Off, DRL, dipped beam but no Main beam. I think I will alter the wiring from the LH switch so that the dipped beam is lit when the pilot light setting is on so the switch will be configured as: Off, DRL and dipped beam, and main beam.
If that works I still have yet to ensure that I have an ignition system that works.

Last edited by 350TSS; 30-11-2020 at 06:27 PM..
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote