Thread: Info on M750's
View Single Post
Old 19-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #6
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Well, I don't want to bull them up too much because these things always depend a lot on personal preference, but I've had a 2000 M750 for a dozen years or so and I love it to bits.
As 750s go, the 2000 model is probably the best carbed model as it has all of the upgrades made over the years. It may have the double disc front end too.
Ok, they don't have great gobs of arm-stretching power and although they will cope with it moderately well, like most naked bikes they aren't really built for long, high speed runs down the autobahn. They do however, have more than enough power and torque to be an absolute joy on the sort of roads that most bikers favour and I still don't lust after more power, even after 12 yrs.
But lets start with the downsides ...
Like all carbed monsters, it will ice its carbs in the cool, damp weather from late autumn to early spring. Dosing the fuel with pro.fst cures it, but its a pain having to anticipate the need and I get caught out every year. Most of the time its not an issue and unless you ride all year you'd probably never notice. Flat slide (non diasphragm) carbs are the ultimate cure (mine await fitting this winter). The later, injection models avoid the problem altogether.
Forks are non adjustable Showas and, again like most monsters, they are a little harsh over a bumpy road.
Those are about my only complaints.
The clutch is wet, so you don't get the traditional Ducati dry clutch rattle .. but on the other hand you do get a long lasting, trouble free clutch (as long as its had the correct oil in the past). Its also a little heavy at the lever but an aftermarket slave cylinder sorts that easily.
Its one of the lightest monsters and therefore makes a great bike for the twisties. Mine has lost a further 20 kilos or so now and it is as flickable as my old 2-stroke yamaha.
Basically, its a brilliant all-rounder, and will cope with anything from solo scratching to two-up touring .. and bring a smile to your face every time.
The engine is quite revvy and this can leave it screaming a little when trying to keep up on a fast motorway. The later injection models have a 6 speed box so probably suffer less from this. I've geared mine up a little to compensate.
Like all aircooled 2-valve monsters, the layout and design makes diy maintenance fairly simple. Its probably the nicest, easiest bike to work on that I've ever owned .. which bodes well if its a keeper. Mine has never seen a dealer's workshop since its first service. This contrasts with later monsters which are apparently much more fiddly to spanner.
The monster headlight isn't much good but Mr Gazza will sell you an adaptor (for a mere tenner) which enables the fitting of a range of aftermarket upgrades.

Pricewise, they dropped down as low as about £1500 a couple of years ago but now seem to be on the rise and are fetching around the £2k mark for a decent one.
I paid £2600, 12 years ago, so that's very cheap biking.

Oh and I could mention that I wrote a love song to mine.

In short, it depends a bit on your personal preferences but in my opinion the M750 is the best bike ever built.

If you have any further questions, just ask.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote