View Single Post
Old 06-02-2005, 08:36 PM   #23
Duncan

Apart from the 1st service, my 1999 M900 has never been in a dealers workshop.

I have kept it serviced myself up to where it stands now with 45,000 miles on the clock.

In that time its been serviced by me and has been remarkably trouble free.

A few things to know.
1. Dont skimp on oil or filters, they are cheap compared to labour and repairs. I use quality synthetic oil. I base the viscosity selection on time of year and the chart in the manual supplied with the bike. It doesnt burn oil with 45,000 on the clock.
2. I try to ride the bike at least once a week. This keeps the oil around the moving parts and prevents damage on start up. It also keeps the battery in good shape. The battery is the original.
3. I keep the bike garaged and try and keep salt off it in winter. When cleaning I keep a preventative eye on maintenance issues.
4. I do the cam belts every 12,000 miles
5. The valve clearances were originally checked every 6000 miles when I serviced it. I record the figures and can keep an eye on drift across the setting range. With good oil, things dont wear and I have only had to change 1 shim at 36,000 miles.
6. I keep a general eye on filters and fluids and change them as it becomes necessary.

A major service costs me about £80 to do. A minor one about £40. So my total serving costs based on 3 major and 4 minor services has been £400. Based on dealers charging £180 for minor and £350 for the major the costs would have been £1770. I dont have any plans to sell my bike so a Full service history is of no concern and with those kind of miles is irrelevant anyway as the resale would be very low.

Things to go wrong
Rear light bulbs - They are a joke and I now have an LED cats eye tail light. All other bulbs still working and no other electrical problems.
Still on original battery.
Rear wheel bearing seized at 34000 miles.
Chain snapped at 24,000 miles although it had been replaced not long before. Generally a good chain will last 12,000 miles if Scottoiled
Rear shock bushes worn out at 38000 miles
Brake pads last forever cos I dont do towns, dont brake too often and prefer to read the road ahead. Front pads 36000 miles and rear 18000!!
Engine apart from service items just the 1 shim and STILL ON THE ORIGINAL CLUTCH (did I say I dont do towns)
Have replaced 2 speedo cables. First one seized at the bottom with moisture getting in and second one just snapped.
Clutch - Have had a seal go in the slave cylinder but thats not unusual for one of these.
Tyres - they wear out

Good new is the bike is still a great machine. The head bearings (originals) are just about due replacement and the back shock which I rebushed needs repressurising. Have had loads of bikes in the last 25 years and this is by far the best and most reliable. With no prospect of a wad of spare money and some heavy outgoings in the form of kids and a wife its gotta keep going.