Thread: legal action
View Single Post
Old 15-07-2004, 12:42 PM   #12
Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt
well i'd hoped it wouldnt come to this but i have just got a solicitor involved in the flakey paint fiasco.
i have tried ducati who said go to dealer.
the dealer said ducati wanted photos and then after about a month i got an abrupt phone call from dealer saying ducati said no.
so back to ducati and guess what no bloody response.
is there any chance of you lot putting your names on a list so that i can see how many other people have the problem.

cheers people

i'm a pretty scared little fish at the mo cause i dont really have the cash for this but i'll be damned if im going to let it lie.
I had the flakey paint problem on the crankcases and intially contacted Ducati via email - I had to chase them up a few weeks later and they asked me to take the bike to an authorised dealer for inspection.

The dealer was helpful and polite but understandably non-commital (they always lose on warranty claims as Ducati dictate the amount of time a job takes). He reported back his findings to Ducati.

After visiting the dealer I emailed Ducati confirming that the dealer had carried out an inspection. A short while later Ducati agreed to the warranty work and asked me to agree a time with the dealer for the work to be done - and suggested that it would be best if I waited until the end of the biking season when the dealer would be less busy. I was happy with this arrangement and the work was carried out. A couple of months ago I had a simialr problem with the clutch side cover - this has been replaced under warranty also. The foot rest hangers also have a small problem, but as the bike has now done 14,000 miles and I want to stay on good terms with my dealer I have not pressed Ducati about these.

I think that Ducati treated me very fairly and that the dealer also did an excellent job. I believe that my case was helped by the fact that my bike was obviously very well looked after and that I remained polite and factual but persistent with Ducati. I have some sympathy with the dealers as they are stuck in the middle and make no money out of warranty work.

Having said all that - I suspect that Ducati did/do have a problem with the paint on ALL of the air-cooled engines - I'm sure that a lot of people don't complain about it - hopefully Ducati have now put corrective measures into place at the factory as all this remedial work must be costing them a fortune!

I love Ducatis and intend to buy another but I will carefully inspect the quality of the engine paint before I hand over the money.

Good luck with your claim.

Regards
Will