View Single Post
Old 11-05-2024, 09:26 PM   #98
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Time marches on and I haven't been updating this thread!
Work has been on going though, in fits and starts.
The front end is pretty much sorted now apart from re-lacquering the wheel and fitting the new discs and tyre.
The callipers now have new Ti pinch bolts saving a whopping 50 grams on just 6 bolts. Also they have Stainless pad pins, new pads, Ti banjo bolts and nipples.
I blew each piston out and thoroughly cleaned them fitting them back with a smear of rubber grease.
I gave the calliper bodies a good scrub with a toothbrush and Mr Muscle foaming drain cleaner.. Works a treat. Great on engines too.
It's a two part liquid and gel. I pour a little into a takeaway tub and it foams almost instantly, then dip the toothbrush in and scrub away. Rinse off with water.

Brake lines are new too and yet to be heat-shrunk and filled with fluid.

After a long debarkle trying to find a longer speedo cable, I finally did the obvious and called in at Tinklers, a local Yamaha dealer of long standing. Luckily a mate of over 40 years was behind the counter and he kindly disappeared into the stores with a tape measure and emerged very quickly brandishing a cable of correct length and fitting type, under £20 too.
I now have a speedo cable of equivalent OEM quality.

One slightly impetuous thing I did was replace the Ti mudguard bolts with alloy ones.
They weigh a mere 1 gram each and will take a torque of 5Nm. The recommended torque for mudguard bolts is 4Nm, so they are in spec by the skin of their teeth.
I will be keeping an eye out for fractured bolts!
Saving there was 28g on 4 tiny bolts over the originals. The now spare Ti bolts were re-used to replace the very rusty ones holding the seat plastic undertray, the crankcase breather catch tank and the petrol tank hinge.
Total unsprung weight saving on the front end is 191 grams. and I'm pretty sure the Arashi discs are a little lighter than Brembo too.