View Single Post
Old 21-02-2024, 09:55 PM   #88
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
The Ti bolts, nipples and axle nut were delivered this morning from RaceTi.
I also got an email from the carrier to say that they would soon have the Tyres from M&P!! (I ordered those a day before the Ti bits!)

I've fitted and weighed all but a couple of the Ti bits. All put in with Moly grease on the threads as I do with all nuts and bolts, but especially important with Titanium to prevent it galling and making expensive trouble!

Total weight saving on what I fitted today is 147g of which 77g is unsprung.
Comparing callipers, the Goldlines are 948g each including very worn organic pads.
The Brembo P4 four pads are 1011g each with new sintered pads piled on top.
I think the sintered pads account for most of the difference as they are mostly metal.

So I've gained 126 grams there, but saved 77g unsprung, so I'm up 49g on unsprung but hopefully with a tangible gain in brake power.
I haven't taken into account the Ti disc bolts yet, so there's a chance to get back that 49g.
Of course new tyres are considerably heavier than worn ones, especially all weather sports touring tyres, but new tyres just make the whole bike feel lighter and newer, so well worth it.
I remember Capo compiling a list of tyre weights and even comparing worn with new, but he was a good deal more obsessed than me. He did manage to hulk about 6 stone off his S4R though.

Also dropped the centre stand into my cousin for welding and bending. Interesting to see if I can save most of it's weight with the rear brake parts that I'm shedding. Haven't dared put it on the scales yet!