Thread: 2024 Wassup?
View Single Post
Old 30-12-2023, 07:57 PM   #12
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
With regards the glamping thing. I’ve organised quite a few of them for the bikers I go on runs with.

They almost always follow the same format > find a glamping site we are happy with > hopefully close to a pub and amenities > work out how many to a pod > book and away we go.

A classic example of that would be: applecross on the NC500 > has eating, drinking, washing facilities and a local pub that serves food > usually 2 or 3 to a pod and acccess to excellent riding roads. Cost wise applecross is cheap, circa £90pn for 4 people so typically I book for four people even if it’s only for two / three people. This gives you the luxury of extra space for gear and so on…the pods are usually quite tight anyway so four people and gear is impossible imo, three and gear is tight.

Applying that to the Lake District: the costs are higher, circa £90pppn and would strangers want share?…details to be fleshed out at a later date I’d suggest > location is a tricky one for me to select best area, only ever ridden through the Lake District once and that was coming home from three days of MotoGP at silverstone, sleeping in a tent in a tent, so was rather Looking forward to home more than the views tbh. On the plus side the Lake district seems to have an abundance of very nice sites available.

But certainly I think it’s very do able with the knowledge in this group. Someone is bound to have the local knowledge to help select a decent area with decent amenities and allow access to good roads for day trips.

The only issue I foresee is a happy medium for the distance travellers. I initially selected the Lake District based on top of ‘Scotland downwards reasonable distances’. But looking on a map the south of England is a fair old trek to come upwards, maybe top of wales is a better meet point.

Side note: anybody from the very very top of Scotland, arrangements could be made for you to travel to the central belt and meet up with myself (or the rest the Scotland contingent) and then travel as one group the next day.

Anyway let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by Ron1000; 30-12-2023 at 08:29 PM..
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote