View Single Post
Old 02-03-2022, 06:45 PM   #566
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Getting started

Finally this week I got to give the engine some attention. I have had them since Tuesday but having a lot of fun getting my hands on a 749 changing belts oil filter, oil change, rewire a starter solenoid having to cut back a bodged loom and change petrol filter and seal in the tank and a fresh battery. Started up lovely too.
Anyhow I started this afternoon measuring all the gaps of the new rings in the bores and very pleased to say they are all in the Ducati spec without modification i.e. tolerance should be 0.20mm - 0.40mm and these were 0.35 and up to 0.8mm is service tolerance.
Then I put the gudgeon pins in the freezer whilst I got on carefully fitting the new piston rings. First one I was very cautious but the second one was much easier as confidence grew more. Obviously slipped one circlip on one of each piston whilst off. I did speak to my mentor Alec which way to fit either in barrel then to conrod or to conrod then barrel over. We have a ring compressor and I would do second one he said. So paper towel in the openings and pistons on and gudgeon pins in lovely. Circlips were not so bad to do tbh which was a big relief.
So if I can make it in tomorrow barrels and heads should go on and then I can do belts and an oil changed before it returns home.
I have to admit my body has been misbehaving this weekend and this week and I have been struggling getting out in mornings but mindfulness is keeping me positive and a month of riding but only one tank of fuel is very good. I have also been riding regardless of the weather just because it means work.
I have however sorted my garage ready prepared for rebuild and that's very pleasing.
Thanks chaps if your reading this progress report.

Albie is offline   Reply With Quote