View Single Post
Old 15-09-2021, 08:25 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
The 500 Speed twin was the first of a long successful line, ordinary folk could afford one.
It was easy to ride with rewarding performance, it was reliable and maintenance was easy. A winner, and now a classic holding a very desirable value indeed. This gentle reader is where the Zero sits.

Now the Mighty Vincent was in an altogether different price bracket. The power was in a different league too, unheard of in its day and still somewhat of a legend.
Riding it was engaging to say the least and probably only a few would get to the edge of its capability. Maintenance was far from straightforward, with adjustability on almost every aspect of the entire machine even down to the toe pegs of the foot controls.
Here was a machine that the enthusiast and connoisseur could adjust and fettle to suit his own demands and preferences to eventually perfect that ultimate ride and get the very best out of the bike. The value of a good example now is counted in tens of thousands. I think this is where the Energica sits?

I most certainly didn’t get the best out of it, but even on the move I was thinking what I would change and how.
The suspension was clearly multi adjustable and I’d probably start with that to make the ride more comfortable.
There are plenty of settings to explore on the dash to get exactly the kind of feel from the power delivery that anyone wants. I’m sure it would be an entirely different experience with less engine braking for instance, not to mention loosening the traction control to get a very lively ride indeed.

I haven’t mentioned yet that the gearbox and motor are water cooled, so there are fluids for the tinkerer to change and a chain to lube and adjust too. This is what I mean when I said that this is a bit of a petrolhead’s machine. I think it would be truly engaging to own and ride with owner accessible mechanics to fiddle with and huge performance to exploit.

Hopping on the Monster to ride home was familiar and required no adjustment, mentally or physically. Whereas after the Zero ride, I was disorientated for weeks and really out of sorts with my old bike. Maybe because I now know what to expect from an electric bike? Or maybe because the Energica is closer to an IC bike to ride? There’s a rawer edge to it.

It’s not the bike for me, despite the price tag making it just a dream anyway. It’s a bit too exotic and too focused.
The high saddle doesn’t suit my little legs and I don’t like the forward pitch of the seat, nor the frame rails digging into my knobbly knees. I thought the mirrors were just poor and really should have been better.

I feel bad now for berating the looks of the Zero in my last test, as looks can be changed or tolerated. I actually preferred the Zero. It’s more my kind of bike, feel wise.

The Energica is going to appeal to folk with bigger wallets and egos than me, and better riding abilities too. It’s very competent and exciting in all departments, she looks pretty damn good too.
I think what it proves above all is that an electric bike can have a huge helping of character and this one definitely had a strong Italian soul too.
It’s allowed not to suit me perfectly and I’m not putting it down in any way just because we didn’t gel on our first date, even if we did have a complete ball. She will go on to break many hearts, I’m sure.

Try one.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 15-09-2021 at 08:39 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote