View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 10:10 PM   #9
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan s4 View Post
Question is whether a solar charger is compatible with Lithium?
I question why you'd need it? I switched to a Shido at the same time as I replaced the (duff) RR because the Yuasa didn't seem to hold a charge anymore (and I'm so tired of lead-acid batteries generally; I've replaced more in the last 10 years than the previous 30). The S4 would sit outside in winter for 4-5 weeks or longer (sometimes with snow on it) between the infrequent dry day rides, and it was fine.

Without a parasitic draw, LiFePo4 voltage drops about 1% a month, even in cold weather, compared to 10+% for lead-acid. Seem to recall the Shido is rated 40% more CCA than the stock battery - so a lot more in reserve.

The only trick is that you have to "wake" them up if they're really cold; draw enough juice to warm them up and get the chemical reaction started. Turn the headlight on for 30 seconds, or kick the fuel pump prime with the key 5-6 times does it for me.

In fact, I haven't charged the Shido since I fitted it, well over a year ago; only thing I've used the tender cable for is checking the voltage without diving under the tank...

It was a bit of a nail-biter in the winter until I learnt to trust it/the manufacturers instructions. Pulling significant current before starting when it'd been sitting for weeks and weeks in freezing conditions seemed really counter-intuitive at first. But it was obviously right, because it wouldn't engage the starter or go over compression if you didn't... In warmer weather, you don't need any of that.
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote