Thread: S4 idle issue
View Single Post
Old 22-08-2021, 04:38 PM   #45
Terryphukwit

Bike: S4
So looking at the fans and wireing I can see the fans run directly from the ECU, quite strange wiring as if it didn't quite fit so Ducati extended the lead for the left hand fan, has a 4 inch length of wire with connectors both end, odd colours as well, right hand side plugs straight in and colours line in. Tested both fans for current draw, left hand was over an amp more than the right so stripped it off and pulled it apart, expecting worn brushes or a tight bearing but all ok, there is a diode and capacitor in the motor, the diode is to stop motor overrun voltage spiking back into the ECU which can cause damage to the drivers, this is leaking and burning the extra power, I have removed the diode and now the fan runs at 1.2 amps the same as the other.. iv ordered new diode and this should fix it, I can't put it back on the bike until fixed so I fitted a temporary computer fan, these have the freewheeling diodes in them, just to test with, all appeas good, fans come on without dragging the idle down.....I have been here before so not going to count any chickens yet but
Terryphukwit is offline   Reply With Quote