View Single Post
Old 09-08-2021, 07:57 AM   #10
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Welcome Graham.
It doesn't look like you have too much cosmetically to do anyway, let's hope those mice didn't get a taste for cable insulation!
Good to see someone sensible doing all the re-commissioning work BEFORE seeing if it runs. So many times you see bikes advertised where they say "stored for years but starts and runs"... Argh!

Exact fit belts are now les expensive than the Ducati ones and are safe for three years rather than two. http://www.exactuk.com/

Get yourself a sealed, preferably gel type battery like Motobatt. If you do get a liquid acid one make double sure that the breather tube is fitted firmly and, running out below the engine. Acid stains on the frame and engine are common on these and really spoil the looks!

Inspect the yellow cables that connect the alternator to the rectifier/regulator and make sure the connections are good low resistance connections. I do away with the standard block connector and use Gold bullets. Some hard wire these or use crimps. Bad connections here result in heated cables, melting the insulation, sometimes causing a fire but usually frying the reg/rec and boiling the battery, leading to the aforementioned acid leaks!

I am currently re-commissioning a 750SS and removed 11 year old tyres, much to the amusement of the tyre fitters. I'll be interested to find out how old yours are and I just know you are sensible enough to not try and use them..

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 09-08-2021 at 08:00 AM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote