View Single Post
Old 12-07-2021, 05:23 PM   #12
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I'm getting the impression that it may have stood for a fair while?
You're absolutely right to put new tyres on, 10 year olds would be asking for trouble even if they have plenty of tread, the rubber would almost certainly be buggered!

£20 each for those rubbers sounds like a rip off! Have you asked Moto Rapido if they have them? You can get a 10% discount by mentioning that you're a UKMOC member.
Before shelling out £40 I would try picking the red off those. It might even sand off. Or in a worst case you could just paint them matt black.

As well as the jobs you mentioned you need to find out how old the timing belts are. They are supposed to be changed every two years regardless of mileage. In fact low or no miles is worse for the belts than a high mileage as they apparently take a set around the pulleys.
Be aware of this if you are tempted to start it up every now and then to have a listen. Snapped belts will wreck the engine.
Personally I would change them even before warming it up to change the oil.

Clutch and brake fluid also does not store well unused and can turn into jelly in extreme cases, so it's well worth doing a fluid change if the age is unknown.

If you have been unlucky enough to inherit it with an old fashioned lead acid battery make sure the breather pipe is secure and leading out below the engine as they will spit acid over the frame and the top of the engine. Better still get a sealed, gel or AGM battery for no leaks and much better performance.

Finally to avoid a lot of potential grief, trace the two yellow wires from the alternator to the rectifier and check any connector blocks for corrosion and make the electrical connections clean and weather proof, or better still replace the connectors with something more modern and weatherproof or hard wire the connections. This is a known and common problem that causes rectifier failure and consequent flat or boiling battery. Even fire in extreme cases!!