View Single Post
Old 19-05-2021, 10:18 PM   #1
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
S4 replacement DP ECU question;

So, my S4 is a 2001 model (analog clocks, only the immobilizer LED in the tach, no codes/menus/LCDs etc).

I knew enough to make sure it came with the red key, the code card - also 2 black keys. So that all seems good.

However, the docs I got with it were a little spotty; there's a print-out of a 12 year old email that makes reference to a PCII being fitted; nope, no sign of that I can find.

There's an invoice for some Sil cans; nope, high-level carbons (with a Termi sticker?). But the fitting kit and the slip-on down pipes are identical to my Remus/DP setup. So I suspect it may be DP.

Cut a long story short; bike has open airbox and open exhaust. Been a little concerned it might be a tad lean. Found a new DP 96506100B (that's the correct part for slip-ons and an open airbox apparently) on Flea Bay - turned up very promptly from Italy. In a Ducati box...

Unlike my M900ie DP ECUs, the only sticker is on the ECU dust caps - which goes away when it's fitted, of course. Are any of the numbers on the ECU itself specific to the DP fitment? They look a bit generic, with things like "IAW 59M" etc. And the "996R" makes me worry just slightly.

After I bought it, I saw Jerry mention that his S4 DP ECU isn't smooth down low, but fine up the top. Wait, wut... That's familiar - could I have a DP ECU already?

I was just going to fit the thing. Then I started reading a bit; seems I can only pair it with the red key - and then it's welded to the clocks/immobilizer forever? Sheesh...

If I buy the cables and dump the map, how easy is it to tell if it's a DP map already - and if so, which one? Is there a secret squirrel decoder ring for the signature or something?

I presume "flashing a new map" on a 59M is actually "burning a new EPROM with the modified map" and replacing it, right?

Cheers for any help; think I'm mostly on the right lines but ....
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote