View Single Post
Old 01-07-2020, 10:02 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie

This is a Zero SR/F which is of course a naked electric bike. It falls roughly into comparison with a medium Monster. (M900- M1000) The brushless ZF75-10 motor produces 110hp (Getting better?) and 190nm of torque (Oh! Sounds quite handy.) Power comes from inside that big brick which contains many little lithium-Ion cells. And under the “tank” is a charger array. Range at the current state of the art is 80 to 100 miles depending on how hard you spank it and charging takes between 1 and 4 hours depending on the charger array that is specified. Blah blah blah this is not what it’s really about. You can read all the figures here; https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/en-gb/ While I get down to it on a more emotional level.

Looking at it with more intelligent eyes there are some familiar references. The front end is recognisable and conventional for today. There is a trellis frame and a two sided swinging arm with a single shock. Behind Hermes’ winged heels is a cunning feature that is rarely, if ever, achieved with an IC power plant and gearbox. The motor and swinging arm are on concentric bearings, so share their axis. This means that the drive, in this case a belt of barely bigger section than a Ducati cambelt, is in constant tension. Nice design, but I’m thinking it might be a bit snatchy?

The sting in the tail as it were, is the tail light/numberplate arrangement that seems to be thought of as fashionable these days. Not my thing, but not Zero alone is guilty and its not really a biggy with all the other strange looks.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 02-07-2020 at 08:33 AM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote