View Single Post
Old 23-04-2020, 07:23 PM   #1206
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
A productive day today, first I managed to find a spring that very nearly worked as a brake return spring, it now does but I had to machine the bush it sits around down about 1 mm then I had to bend re-set the spring so the resting position was c 250 degrees between the "ears" (from about 160 degrees). I used my little cooking blow torch for creme brulee and locally heated to red heat then 2 pairs of pliers got the rough shape later finessed over a suitably sized arbour and a 1lb hammer.
I wondered about re- tempering the spring but could not remember if it should be heated and quenched in oil or just left to cool naturally. It seems OK so I just painted it with "chrome" paint.

Next, I mounted the MU unit and tidied the wires to and from it. There is still a bunch of knitting to sort out to the right of the unit.

Then I made up my earth stud but it looked very untidy so I found a lump of brass and made an earth bridge/block between the negative terminals. Its a bit heavy and in a couple of places the centre punching/drilling was a bit wayward but I think with a bit more work it should work fine.

Finally, I fixed something that has been bugging me - odd rubbers on the handlebar grips. At first, I thought I would just buy some new ones, then I saw the price. I actually bought some cricket bat handlebar rubber for £2, not only was it cheap, it has excellent grip qualities and also by rolling it over the original rubbers it makes the grip about 5 mm larger in diameter and more cushioned - result.

Last edited by 350TSS; 23-04-2020 at 10:59 PM.. Reason: wrong picture
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote