View Single Post
Old 01-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #1059
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
First venture into the garage for nearly a fortnight yesterday, bad cold and visiting relatives, stopped play.
It was too cold to stop long so looking for a quick job.
I thought I would close up the two cylinder heads, clean the rocker gasket faces and the cam bearing faces and bolt same to the two heads.
As I was about to bolt the cam bearings back into place I noticed that the shim washers which fit over the end of the camshaft before you slide the cam bearing on were different thicknesses. Then I managed to mix them up and have no idea which one is for the vertical cylinder and which for the horizontal cyinder.
I puzzled for some time as to how to measure which should go where.
After a while I concluded that since the cam is pulled toward the drive side bearing when the pulley nut is done up and the drive side bearing is an interference fit in the head there cannot be any camshaft end float.
The LH side bearing and cap are a slide fit on the tub end of the camshaft so the shims on that side are redundant as the lateral position of the camshaft is determined by the positioning of the interference fit bearing in the head. The position of the LH bearing laterally on the shaft is determined by inner face on the cap and the thickness of the gasket between the head and the bearing cap.
Provided the camshaft turns freely with no binding when the bearing cap is put on and torqued up with no gasket then the shim is redundant.
I hope I have explained this correctly and I think my logic is correct.
Am I missing something?
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote