View Single Post
Old 08-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #8
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher88 View Post
As some may know I loved my old monster and still love them despite having and orange off road think atm. Unfortunately due to finance and storage i cant have 2 bikes atm. I love going off road but love monsters too.
Came across this earlier, they called it a terra monster...
What are your thoughts? It's different I guess...
That bike has been around for some time and I think it is a well executed attempt at an off road Monster but as Darkness suggests it would be very compromised if taken seriously off road but there clearly is a market for such a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
Better off with the scrambler desert sled
Completely agree with Albie on this and the 'Sled is the only model of the Scrambler range which is approved by Ducati to be used off road having a strengthened frame and revised swing arm mount.

In fact they appear so good- Henry Crew took one around the world covering 55,000 miles on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMbWBFyMWec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
It's interesting alright and works aesthetically. It'll probably make a fairly competent off roader too, but I think it would be pants on the road with knobblies and that tiny little front brake... Bit of a waste of a Monster really?

You need a bigger shed so you can start your collection...
Personally I think if you just wanted it for going down some of the farm tracks (essentially just muddy pot holed roads) it'd be okay and it does work quite well - I think Ducati caught on to the idea of a lighter more manageable (to the Multistrada Enduro) off road bike with the 'Sled version of the Scrambler.

A handful of years ago I got into green laning on Suzuki's DRZ400 (bit too big for me really- as are the Orange bikes unfortunately) before getting a DR350 which was much more manageable and old school (skool) enough to suit the lanes I enjoyed most and was very surprised at the liberties you can get away with on the road with modern knobbly rubber. As for the tiny front brake- it probably isn't as tiny as it looks if you think the front wheel is either a 19 or even more off road suitable 21'' item plus a smaller diameter disc is less likely to get covered in mud, less likely to get damaged in a drop and is not over the top powerful on the road or slippery surfaces.

We do ALL need bigger sheds and garages though!!

Last edited by Flip; 08-09-2019 at 11:56 AM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote