Thread: Tyre balance?
View Single Post
Old 31-05-2019, 09:52 PM   #4
rbt1548

Bike: M900sie
As it's my bike that's being discussed I thought I'd contribute to the thread.

Let me assure you no offence has been taken at all in your pointing out positioning of the red dot on the tyres. The tyres have only a few hundred miles on them and were fitted prior me getting the bike.

As far as the positioning goes I am now not convinced it really matters, others will have their own opinions, and I used to believe the same that the dot was crucial.
However I have had 5-6 pairs of tyres fitted, to various bikes over the years by the conscientious guy in a small local bike shop, after the first fitting I queried that he had not balanced the tyres, he said he would if I wanted but he doesn't usually balance tyres unless specifically asked to do so.
The guy builds engines for TT racers and helps out in the pits during the TT, ( not for one of the bigger teams but to help financially strapped riders out), he stated that if they are changing tyres at the races they don't balance them, partially because of the improvements in tyre technology, and partially because the riders can't really tell the difference, obviously some riders insist that they are balanced to the Nth degree, while, as mentioned, some won't notice if they're not balanced. His premise was if riders going at those speeds at the TT can't tell the difference, would a normal wee guy on the road notice?

I understand that we are all different, and there is certainly no reason why people shouldn't request that they are balanced, I was only putting my slant on it as to why I wasn't that bothered, and to be honest I haven't noticed any out of the normal vibrations etc., when out on the bike, (yet!!!)

What I did notice was, that there are no tyre creep securing bolts on my wheel on the Monster, I had them on my Commandos to help with the power coming from the rear wheel

To get back to the Red Dot positioning, manufacturers must produce multitudes of tyres every day, surely they can't balance every tyre before putting the dot in the correct position, is it done automatically by positioning in the mould, or is it sneakily done randomly?

1965 BSA Lightning Clubman
1958 Wife
2000 M900Sie

Last edited by rbt1548; 31-05-2019 at 09:55 PM..
rbt1548 is offline   Reply With Quote