View Single Post
Old 01-07-2018, 11:06 PM   #13
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Flip

I think I'd like to try the Spring balance method to do my belts this year, but it strikes me there is one big difference between it and the Allen Key method which I've previously used.

When using the Allen key method you use a 6mm Key as a gap setting tool/feeler on the vertical cylinder and a 5mm one on the horizontal cylinder, apparently because the vertical cylinder gets hotter and expands more.

Do you set the tension differently using the spring method?

Thanks

Nasher.
Yep I’m aware of the Allen key method and I understand the theory behind the gap being different between the cylinders due the the vertical one supposedly getting hotter but (and I know lots of people use this method with obvious success), in all the years I’ve owned and been around Ducati’s I don’t really know where this method originated other than what has been posted on the various web sites etc.

So basically no, there is no mention of any difference in tension using the spring balance method either in the factory or the Haynes manuals.

I can only assume from that there is a fairly large tolerance on tension and we can all get a little paranoid about it and tend to over think and worry too much......

....maybe.