View Single Post
Old 17-04-2018, 04:14 PM   #658
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Decisions, decisions?????
I am coming to the point where I need to decide what colour the body work is going to be (tank, seat mudguard, rear hugger, air scoops x 4, headstock infill panels etc) - it will be a lot of colour.
The chrome look frame will go very nicely with black but black is definitely the hardest colour to paint and look good afterwards as it shows the minutest blemishes. Also, I am not sure if I can get black, edged with silver (rather than white) tank decals (same style as the lettering on the cambox bearing covers).
Ducati Red would also look good and every body knows red bikes are faster.
I am not a huge fan of stripes and if I am painting it this is just something else to go wrong.
White would be easiest to paint but a bugger to keep looking good and it probably needs a bit of pearl in it to really stand out which is also a complication I do not want to contemplate as my final finish quality will probably be down to effort spent rubbing down rather than spray painting competence. i.e. plain colours with lots and lots of thin coats rubbed down with 1000/1500/2000 wet and dry. The final finish on pearl / metallic colours I think relies more on genuine spray painting ability.
The other problem I have is I spotted on another thread here a polished alternator case on a GT1000 and it looks stunning and since my case did not come out 100% I am considering to stripping it back and polishing it or even giving it the Aerocoat treatment (with the clutch inner cover) which I think would look great against the anthracite crank cases.
I wish I knew how to photoshop so I could work out which works best.
The really mad option is to make two sets of all the CF stuff and paint one set red and the other black. Not really an option if I want to finish before they screw down the lid.
What would you do?
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote