View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 05:34 PM   #647
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Kids on half term so not much progress this last week, also my tendency to flit from job to job (never actually finishing any that I start) means that there is not much to add to this saga.

Whilst they are on holiday I am limited to short one-hour bursts in the garage as I have to ensure that they are not wasting their lives on electronic devices and they are getting on with their exam revision. I did manage to make up some mould surrounds for the instrument nacelle and the battery box. The instrument nacelle one was made from the last of some purloined corrugated polypropylene board from a discarded estate agents board, the battery box from “proper” sheet material purchased from Easy Composites.
upload pics

Today, I welded 2 x 12mm nuts to the cam belt idler gear studs and managed to get them out, having previously dosed the studs with penetrating oil on a daily basis.

Also, I did nearly finish polishing (as best I could with the barrels still in situ) all the hard to reach places on the engine cases with small brass wire brushes in the Dremel flexible drive.
Before I get the etch primer out, I think I still need to thoroughly degrease the cases and I am not sure what to use. I have some Machine Mart de-greaser but I think this is detergent based and may leave a chemical film that might affect the primer adherence to the aluminium. An alternative is brake cleaner which should loosen all the hydrocarbons but getting every last molecule off the cases after the brake cleaner has evaporated is still a worry. Maybe the sequence should be brake cleaner followed by MM de-greaser and then a damp lint free cloth. What would others recommend?
Also, I need to work out how to position the engine as I paint it, leaving it on its stand will mean that areas where the stand bolts to the engine will be masked and I will not be able to degrease these areas either. I am currently favouring making some steel straps to bolt to the inlet manifold studs and hanging the engine from the rafters on ratchet straps. I should be able to rotate the engine as I paint and elevate it sufficiently to get to the underside and sump. There will need to be a few hours-worth of careful masking-up to be done, rocker covers, cam bearing covers, gearbox and clutch shafts and oil and timing window seals etc., etc.
Yesterday, I got a text from Aerocoat saying my frame, swinging arm and suspension hoop are ready, so I’ll pick them up next Tuesday – it’s a 6 hour, 340 mile, round trip.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote