View Single Post
Old 06-03-2018, 06:17 PM   #591
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Today I removed the old bearings from the clutch pressure plate and the outrigger bearing in the alternator case, I popped the cases in the AGA and about an hour later the alternator case bearing was on the bench. The clutch centre bearing however was very stubborn but was eventually subdued.
I also thought I should remove the large oil seal in the clutch casing which while it is off seems like a good plan to renew. This was also very stubborn and I had to resort to a diamond disc cutter in the Dremel. The angle of attack for the cutter was very awkward and I was anxious not to create an oil leak path in the housing. I settled on effectively grinding the sheet metal of the seal across the width of the seal (parallel to the face of the seal), any attack at 90 degrees to the seal would almost certainly result in damage to the seal housing. This is now out.
Finally, and rather reluctantly, I turned to the wiring and the male 5 pole connector I had struggled with on two days (and for 5 hours) last week. Each time I had tried to make it up either a pin broke or a crimp pulled off or the copper core broke, the result of all this was that each attempt resulted in a shortening of the cables coming from the loom. This was last chance as another 15 to 20mm shortening would mean that the wires would not reach on the intended route, If I failed this time then I would have to go back into the loom and replace at least one of the wires. No pressure then.
It took me twenty minutes and it was done, satisfying but exasperating - why would it not work last week???
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote