View Single Post
Old 26-01-2018, 05:54 PM   #536
Nasher

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by haloguy628 View Post
It is prohibited to solder connections on any aircraft. Crimping is mandated. Soldered connections will not withstand vibration. Hence the prohibition in aircraft manufacture and maintenance. Cost has nothing to do with it.
As above.

I'm the Strategic Procurement Manager for a Civil and Military Aviation electronics company down here on the South coast.
A little add on to my position involves me working very closely with Boeing quality engineers to conform sample products we've designed and built before they can be put through qualification testing for use on aircraft.

I can confirm cost has nothing to do with it, crimping a 'Crimp' to a cable, when carried out in accordance with the manufacturers instructions using the correct tooling, is considered better in all respects for consistency and longevity of the joint.
Vibration as mentioned is the killer of soldered joint at the point the tinned bit of conductor ends.

The only soldering of cables we carry out is when joining a cable assembly(pigtail) directly to pads on a pcb.
Then it has to be carried out by an IPC Class 3 certificated operator.

Nasher.

Last edited by Nasher; 26-01-2018 at 07:02 PM..
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote