View Single Post
Old 19-12-2017, 07:04 PM   #451
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Freezing in garage today so I put the heater on and came back indoors to ponder the wiring. On an Excel spreadsheet I created a generic block diagram of all the components that involve electrics and then photocopied it about 15 times and then on each sheet worked out the wiring for a particular circuit e.g. starter motor, indicators main and dipped beams. This will not solve the tricky bit about where to put connectors and how some circuits share common power feed but I will at the end have a good idea of what I am hoping to achieve. Also, it helps with working out the colour coding of the trailing leads from bits that I will be retaining, ignition switch, handlebar switches etc., etc. and where they join new parts with attached wires in non Ducati colours.

The rest of the day I spent today cutting out the rear brake hanger plate.
Steps were:
1. machine a 25mm diameter x 40mm long aluminium dummy spindle;
2. drill and tap it 4mm at one end;
3. locate the stub on the hanger plate and drill a 4mm hole and fasten dummy spindle to plate;
4. clamp the S4 hanger pate over the dummy spindle with 12mm offset at the wheel spindle uppermost;
5. drill on the lathe 2mm holes longitudinally in 2 x 8mm bolts x 16mm long;(I did this but then realized the bolts were coarse thread and the S4 plate is 8mm fine and I did not have any fine threaded 8mm bolts spare so I drilled an 8mm bit of brass and ran a fine thread 8mm die down it)
6. thread the “drilling bush” into the S4 hanger plate to drill 2mm pilot holes for the caliper mounting on the new hanger plate;
7. draw round the S4 hanger plate and establish a centre line between the caliper mounting bolt holes then rotate the S4 plate around the dummy spindle and using the “drill bush” to drill a hole on the centre line beneath the wheel spindle to take the reaction rod spherical bearing
8. using a 51mm HSS hole-saw cut a hole in the plate;
9. fit the hub to the plate, taking the hole in the plate out to 52mm with an emery arbor in the pillar drill;
10. cut out 10mm hanger plate with jigsaw; and finally
11. attach hanger plate to hub.
Not a bad day’s work all in all and quite pleased with the result. But one big downside the S4 hanger plate weighs 225 g, but my arrangement without the spherical bearings (2), the reaction rod and crankcase attachment plate or any disc spcers weighs in at 550g. I will have to drill some lightening holes as this is the first part of the build that has resulted in a significant increase in weight and it is un-sprung mass at that.
I will have to drill and tap a hole to take the speedo hall sensor probably on the side above the swinging arm so that I can clip the cable to the brake pipe which will be tidier than having a random cable hanging below the swinging arm.
Also, I worked out how to retain the spacer between the bearings centrally within the hub. Spacer was 30mm diameter the hole in the bronze bush retaining the bearings was 32mm. Three tiny blobs of silicone sealer on the outside of the spacer did the trick.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote