View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 09:51 AM   #416
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
The joy of this forum is that you can get access to knowledge and assistance with ideas, thanks guys.
I do not know whether the MUV2 control box performance will be hindered by magnetic fields or RF interference, the instruction manual does not say. All it says is “have a 300mm gap from the coils”. If it is magnetic fields then I am flummoxed and as Mr. Gazza intimates there may be no way of protecting against them. Although I will research how naval minesweepers deal with magnetic mines - degaussing I think it is called – probably over thinking this but no harm in trying to find out.
Mr. Gazza, I think you are absolutely right the protection should be located around the vulnerable equipment not the source of the interference. This would be very problematic in the location I have selected for the unit as there are /will be around 20 wires connecting into and out of the box. It will be very congested there and the connections to the box are via small single grub screws into brass blocks so there is always the possibility of these becoming detached and enabling a short circuit/fire.
Also, the box has LED indicator lights which a) enable set up and b) indicate problems or circuits at risk. The control unit has to be mounted on a stout plate with a significant earth wire - 6mm square minimum. I will already have to remove the tank to see these LEDs. I could possibly cut up a mobile phone pouch (the ones designed to protect against unauthorized access to the phone) with a front opening Velcro fastening to enable viewing of the LEDs.
If the issue is RF interference I really like the idea of incorporating some mesh within the mold itself.
I think I will e mail the manufacturer of the MUV2 unit to ascertain whether it is RFI or magnetic fields that are problematic
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote