View Single Post
Old 14-07-2017, 06:32 PM   #123
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I could price up 3D printing easily enough, but I don't think that it really lends itself to 3D printing. I'm not sure that the surface finish would be brilliant?

As it happens I did some fairly exhaustive research into various plastics, including Delrin and Perspex. All were far more expensive than Tricoya. The one advantage that I though plastics would have, was the self colour and finish, but no supplier would guarantee a imperfection free surface on their sheets, which is generally fairly scratched apparently!

I could have gotten involved with flame polishing, but it all sounded rather a faff and expense, so I decided to stick with what I know. Plus I can burn the waste Tricoya in my wood burner and get a small benefit from that.

Incidentally, I carefully measured a reject ring and hung it up in an apple tree outside my workshop, in February.
It's hung there ever since in everything the weather has to throw at it, and it's still flat, circular and dimensionally the same.
That's bare Tricoya. It hasn't even weathered. Surface texture is as new, even on the edges. It looks just the same as when I hung it out.

I heard from the Rep that Tricoya and Accoya sales have tripled in the last 12 months... People seem to be learning.