View Single Post
Old 10-05-2017, 12:37 PM   #4
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Of course the Devil is in the detail .. ie exactly how fast were you going and in exactly what manner were you riding.
But I share your annoyance at the idea of summary justice being handed out by a single person, with no chance to challenge it.
And the thought of the bike being taken away after one more similar event seems draconian.

If I'm honest, I probably break a speed limit every single time I go out on the bike, and have probably done so all my life.
And ok, its only my personal opinion but despite this, I reckon I my riding style is careful and considerate to other road users ... that's how I've got to 60yrs without injury.
I guess its all about interpretation but it does concern me when that call falls to a single copper in isolation, who can then apply such hard hitting consequences on the spot.

I remember going to Donington just after it had reopened.
There were long queues of cars on the then narrow approach roads, so I was filtering, very slowly past them, in first gear.
A copper stopped me, but refused to explain why.
He made me wait for a while then let me continue.
I reckon the only reason for that was that the Laverda SFC that I was riding at the time looked fast even at a standstill.
I'm glad that guy didn't have an ASBO in his pocket.

On the other hand, I do see riders out there who need one.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote