View Single Post
Old 30-03-2017, 08:34 PM   #17
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Hello and welcome. Ditto the comments above, I wish you the very best of luck with your treatment.

Just thought I would add my perspective to this. I had sportsbikes all my riding life, my first bike was a ZX-6R which I bought before I'd even passed my test, and around the time I hit 45 my body decided for me that I needed to change the style of bike I was riding, or just give up riding altogther. The only bike that really 'did it' for me in terms of styling was the Monster, and although I wasn't sure which one I wanted I ended up with a little 696+. My mates thought I was a bit mad going to a bike with 'only' 80 horses, but let me tell you it's such a lot of fun to ride! Anyway, the point to all this is don't think you're missing out on anything if you don't buy the most powerful bike out there.

Personally I think the air cooled bikes look much better, and I would imagine that for a new rider the 696 is forgiving enough, although it'll be quite different to the 4pot CB500 or whatever your riding school gives\gave you . It's definitely not a handful though. Super light controls are a bonus too.

My suggestion would be to ride a few different models (if you can find them!) and I think you'll know pretty quickly which one is for you.
Uncle Bob speaks a lot of sense there- Monsters aren't all about ultimate speed- no naked bike is going to be fun for long into three figure speeds and it's not really what you want as a new rider anyway. Enjoy the experience of Monster ownership and that grin it gives when you open the garage door- you'll be finding excuses just to go and look at it before you know it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Hello, good evening, welcome....

All the best for your treatemnt

Here's how good the carbys can look

Oh go on then- if we're showing gratuitous pics of carbys in front of planes