View Single Post
Old 10-03-2017, 03:25 PM   #3
norvin998

Update on stand fitting

Centre stands may not be to everyones liking so if they aren't what are you doing reading this? For those who might be looking to fit one this may be of use.

The result of my M1000S stand kit purchase is a M900Sie fitted with a centre stand.

Few pix: https://postimg.org/gallery/ffzm3cak/

The stand leg hits the "floating" rear caliper torque rod on full suspension extension i.e on the propstand ...or in mid air! I have relieved the stand pad in that area & slipped a rubber sleeve onto the rod as belt & braces. Will braze a bigger "foot" onto the trimmed pad (& one on the other side to keep the bike level) extending outwards to restore a decent footprint on that side. Ms with a fixed rear caliper wont have that problem.

The 900Sie plastic "underguard" has to be removed. Its held on by 3 6mm allen screws. A stand cross-bar mounted shield may be a possibility if you wanted to keep such a device The guards purpose appears to be keeping chain lube off the fat tyre judging by the layer of crud on mine.

The prop stand can be retained but needs to have one bolt undone so dont do the fit on the prop stand! A paddock stand worked OK for me.

The threaded insert in the rear of the cases for the drains/breathers is like a small Rawlbolt & once the screw undoes it can be tapped out from the other side with a length of 10mm rod. The long stand mounting through bolt is overlong by about 2cm so plenty of room for another nut & a home made guide for the pipes.

The stand mounting plates fitted direct to the cases without any spacers. The torque rod bracket fitted outside the stand mounting plate. A spacer equal to the thickness of the stand mount (about 6mm) needs to be fitted under the torque rod mount.

The exhaust collector comes very close to the stand mounts. I relieved the area on both mounts next to the collector to allow for some movement of the pipe when the engine is fully up to temp.

The operating leg on the drive side sticks out a good way and with my high level pipes looks odd so thats for a trim down in my case to finish the job off. Other than that it blends in quite well I think. With OE or low cans the leg will be the first thing to touch down on that side.

The result is a very stable stand for use on good hard standing - much like the prop stand the contact area is rather too small for confidence if parking on tarmac. Next job is to put a pad on the prop stand to make the bike stand a little straighter.

Hope that helps anyone looking at fitting a centrestand.