View Single Post
Old 27-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #13
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
As has been said the insurance will pay out to replace with OEM parts, so they don't really care what expensive parts you've fitted because they're not paying to replace them like for like.

Not declaring performance related modifications can potentially be an issue if they are radical e.g. nitrous. However an insurance company isn't going to avoid a payout because you have a 14 tooth front sprocket. It also depends upon the nature of the accident. If the modifications have no bearing on the accident then they are unlikely to be considered.

I wrote off a Kawasaki ZRX1100 that did not have a valid MOT. The insurance company still paid out in full. My M1100evo had O2 sensor eliminators and a DucEE exhaust valve eliminator fitted and I had removed the exhaust valve servo motor. I'm fairly certain my insurer didn't know about any of that or the Pantah bodywork, but they still paid out in full when I wrote it off.

To be honest a lot of the insurance agents who make a note of the modifications that you tell them about haven't got a clue about any of the modifications and in my experience often note them down incorrectly. So there is a bit of leeway between what you have told your insurer and what they think you told them.

I have written off one car and three motorbikes and the insurers never tried to shaft me on the payout. In fact for the M1100evo they were overly generous.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote