View Single Post
Old 23-10-2016, 09:33 AM   #23
Dookbob

Thanks for your comments Flip, it,s useful to know that I have a source of info whilst I am on my learning curve with this 250 single. My forks are 35mm and apart from the mudguard brackets being cracked at the welds they were in a surprisingly good condition. Replacing the seals is the easiest seal swap I have ever encountered on any bike. These seal holders were never made to take two seals ( or one seal and a spacer even) . There is only room in the rebate for one 7.5mm deep seal followed by the circlip. All the new seals stocked by the spares people are of 47mm outside diameter, mine are 45mm which is what makes me think that these are Spanish forks. The previous owner had fitted the seal correctly and then glued another seal on top of it, this was all lurking under the dust cover, what a mess it was too. The yokes are original and have never previously been stripped, the ball bearings were worn half way through. There was no steering damper on the bike when I got it, but once I get a good look at one. Or can get an accurate diagram of one, I will make one, the friction plates are still available.
Thanks for taking an interest in my resto Flip, the next nightmare will start when I strip the engine.