View Single Post
Old 26-09-2016, 10:44 PM   #23
Stephenniall

Apologies for the large images. Imgur won't let me resize them, and I'm uploading on my phone, I will resize them tomorrowith.

With the carbs off the bike once again to send them back (seller sent me a set of 900 carbs by mistake). I decided now would be a good time to remove some dodgy wiring, do some more paintwork and repair a few bits.

The surround for the ignition has had a hole drilled in it by the previous owner, for what Im guessing is for an LED for an alarm system. It's been driving me crazy ever since I got the bike so it has to be sorted.

I sanded the surround down with some 320 grit paper on a block, this is purely to aid adhesion to any filler I use in the later repair stages.

I then applied a coat of plastic adhesion promoter to the inside, to help any bond I use to adhere better.

I used a plastic welding rod to weld the hole up, and reinforced it inside with a small amount of 2k bond (this step probably wasn't 100% necessary, however it will make the repair stronger so won't do any harm).

Once cured, I sanded the top of the surround again, to level the piece of plastic I'd welded in. It levelled nicely, but left a small low spot, I probably could've welded some more plastic in, and got it spot on without any filler, however I opted for the easier method, and will apply a small amount of plastic filler to the top. I'll then block the filler and apply a coat of plastic adhesion promoter, followed by some primer. I'll then sand the primer and apply a texture coat to replicate the factory finish.

I'll try and upload the filler and priming stages tomorrow when I do them.

I'll be using the same method to repair the cowl that sits under the rear seat, as it has had holes drilled in it to fit red Leds.

Last edited by Stephenniall; 26-09-2016 at 10:48 PM..