View Single Post
Old 02-01-2016, 09:39 PM   #13
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Damn.
I chuckled as I read the first bit of your post and then my jaw gradually dropped as I read on.
I've been meaning to add my welcome to the thread for a while now .. shame its happening after such an event.
But welcome anyway.
I enjoyed the enthusiasm behind your intro and recognised a few "monster owner" traits.
It'll all turn out good in the end.
I dented my orange tank a while back.
I now have a rather lovely blue monster ... the same one, but much nicer now.
Turn it to your advantage ... there's always a way.

On the levers, some decent, cheap, Chinese, billet jobbies can be had for under £20 a pair.
I love mine ... but possibly best to go for silver in case coloured anodising fades.
Or alternatively, std ones are cheap .. or you could have my old ones under the circumstances.

On the conking out .. at this time of year a carby monster will suffer carb icing.
The symptoms are mostly duff running at tickover, plus a reluctance for the throttle to shut after a period of constant, steady throttle.
This could well have been the cause of your conking out and quite probably it would have started up fine after you'd warmed yourself up.
The solution is to dose the fuel with pro.fst from silkolene .. and using premium fuel with low ethanol content is said to help (though mine still ices nevertheless, unless I dose the fuel).
Ducati did fit oil-heated and electrically heated systems but neither really work (mine has the electric).
Oh, and it doesn't need to be all that cold ... a damp day can often be the worst.

Anyway .. congratulations on the new bike.
Get yourself a nice paint job maybe ?
Or post some pics and we'll tell you if the tank on the other one will fit.
Are they perchance both red ? ..the odds say that's likely.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote