View Single Post
Old 28-12-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
sram

Bike: M600
Like all projects, the closer I looked the more I found. Really, the whole bike needs to be stripped to the frame, but I decided that as it is my first bike there is not much point going too crazy with it. I wasn't going to remove the swing arm but after snapping a couple of mudguard retaining bolts and then the nutserts that secure other things falling in, I decided it was best to remove it and send it away for stripping and coating. I also did the foot peg hangers, timing belt covers and various other small odds and sods.
I've been working in an unheated garage around the corner from me. There is no electricity and so I've been carrying batteries out to it at the start of working and then lugging them back up to my flat to charge them. I can get about 1 1/2 hours of good working light until I have to change them to a second set. After battling the cold dark evenings over the last couple of months I finally got the bike mostly back together and booked it in for an MOT at the last minute on Christmas Eve. I'm happy to say that it passed, but the bike is far from ready to ride! It is idling like a complete and utter dog and often cuts out. Riding with throttle seems ok, so I'm hoping it's float heights or something relatively simple like that. I've tried playing with the idle jet screw, but I can't get it to idle smoothly. The idle speed also seems to fluctuate quite wildly and will sometimes ramp up quite high and then settle back to a more usual speed all by itself or after blipping the throttle.
The last couple of days have seen me whip off the valve covers as I have no idea when the valve clearances were last checked. I did the belts a couple of weeks ago and fortunately there is a good maintenance record that shows regular oil & belt changes. As per my recent thread in the engine forum, I discovered most opening clearances were non existent and all of the closer clearances are way too large. Before I take the carbs off and strip them I am going to see if getting the valves closer to factory spec improves the idle running.
Lastly, if anyone knows anything about the history of this bike I would love to hear more. In the history I received with it I can see that it's been in at Louigi Moto for an engine and box stripdown to replace a damaged gearbox bearing. Unfortunately there is not much detail on the invoice such as a date, cost or even invoice number, so I'm not 100% sure what was done or how long ago. It must've been at least a few years back as the engine and everything else is disgusting and the invoice does state 'extensive cleaning of engine' was carried out...
Attached are some pics that the seller used. I will try and get some more recent ones up that show the recoated swing arm, peg hangers etc. It looks really good in the seller pics, but so many bikes and cars must be like this when seen from afar! The pics gave no clue as to how much work would be required - If I'd known I would have happily spent another £1000-£1500 on a bike that was already sorted and didn't need so much doing. I guess the positive thing is that if I can get it running well and keep it, I will really know the bike inside out after all the stuff I've done to it.

Well, hope you've enjoyed my ramblings... Went on for a while! Had to split post into two as I reached the forum limit!!!

Last edited by sram; 28-12-2015 at 05:12 PM..
sram is offline   Reply With Quote