View Single Post
Old 30-08-2015, 11:15 AM   #148
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip View Post
No bikes went out badged as Cagiva and although TGP invested in Ducati at the end of '96 they didn't fully take over until '99/2000 when the logo officially changed to the one used now.

They had to have a complete re-branding as the Castiglioni brothers held (and still hold)the copyright to the old font which is why you won't get very much official Ducati merchandise using it- I presume they came up with a deal to use it on the 20th Anniversary bikes and a few items of clothing but the majority of it all dates back to the '70's and earlier.

My '97 900 has a generous smattering of Elephants (which must be a trademark of Cagiva) over it although not as many as the very early bikes.
Yea, I know. The Elephant is a Cagiva trademark. I just think maybe PS got it slightly wrong and assumed the Elephants were to indicate the Monster was going to be badged a Cagiva when it was really just to indicate Cagiva branding and what parts they had paid to manufacture on all the bikes SS/748.916 etc at that time.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote