View Single Post
Old 30-08-2015, 10:34 AM   #146
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
In Practical Sportbikes this months article on the early M900 it says that they had elephants stamped everywhere because the bike was originally going to be a Cagiva, I don't know how true that is, my Supersport had the Elephants too. I can't remember if my 748 did, I don't know where the original fuel cap is but by '97 TPG had taken over from Cagiva anyway but some bikes may have gone out with the Cagiva logos? Who knows.
No bikes went out badged as Cagiva and although TGP invested in Ducati at the end of '96 they didn't fully take over until '99/2000 when the logo officially changed to the one used now.

They had to have a complete re-branding as the Castiglioni brothers held (and still hold)the copyright to the old font which is why you won't get very much official Ducati merchandise using it- I presume they came up with a deal to use it on the 20th Anniversary bikes and a few items of clothing but the majority of it all dates back to the '70's and earlier.

My '97 900 has a generous smattering of Elephants (which must be a trademark of Cagiva) over it although not as many as the very early bikes.