View Single Post
Old 24-08-2015, 12:27 PM   #139
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Got up really early this morning at 6.00 and cracked on with stuff as needed to make a bracket or at this time try and see if the bracket would work, to mount the fuel tap that's on the bike. Its off an ss by the look and has so far come in handy when removing the tank so if it looks ok and not so out of place I can use it . At first I was considering getting BigOz to weld the bracket on the filter bracket but thinking long term I think better if removable so I drilled and tapped an m5 hole in the other bracket and will use a better functional and in keeping bolt and not the one shown. The tap is then screwed on to the bracket with M5 screws. The tap turns towards the front on so will be clear at 90 degrees.
I think it looks ok even trying to keep the bike looking purist but will be powdercoated the same as the frame to blend in.

Next whilst the weather was throwing it down I started doing the ex-Lukas header system to bring it back to decent condition. What started as looking down right dirty started to show some areas that wont clean up without serious work. I am pleased so far and very very grateful to have another system without the bad grounding but even this one has had what looks like at least one but nowhere near as bad.
It started like this

A bit of elbow grease and wire wheel and looking respectable

The worst is at the front down pipe but was also similar on my other one where stones throw up and I literally had to file off the surface as was like charcoal .

The nastiest bit is that someone actually has welded a set of exhaust to these headers in its past in 4 places per outlet. I am going to try and fix this with some help hopefully from BigOz as to whether the areas can be welded across and re dressed or I get some rings made to cover tightly and just tack to the underneath and rear. I dressed them a little around an exhaust but again not a major issue.

One on left is old headers exit and the left is one I am using.

The clamps cleaned up nicely but will have to use a Nut and Bolt to clamp as thread has gone. Not paying £27 for a new one.

The finish on exhaust will only get better and this is stage 1 so I will persevere best I can.

Last edited by Albie; 24-08-2015 at 12:34 PM..
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote