View Single Post
Old 03-07-2015, 05:15 PM   #85
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I have polished silencers from a 750 on mine...You might have seen them at the weekender?

I didn't de-anodise these ones myself, but I have had to re-finish them to try and get rid of the rippling.
The PO used a polishing mop to get the anodising off. The trouble with that (and other methods) is that when you break through the hard surface you dig a hole in the soft bit, or at least until the whole surface is free of anodise.

Keep the surface flat by using a DA (dual action) Or random orbital sander...Or just an orbital sander. keep the pad flat on the surface at all times. Keep it moving, and work in biggish overlapping circles....Mask the stainless ends before starting in case of slips with the rough stuff....As to what grade abrasive to use, you will have to experiment...I would be tempted to start with 180 wet-n-dry, dry, or emery. But if it scratches too deeply it will take too long at the polishing stage..Would pay to work up the grades anyway, once all the anodise is off.

As to letting it dull...Mine soon go cloudy if I don't keep on them with the Autosol...and they mark very easily with any water splashes...So no worries about being dazzled..!

Oh, and why are you mucking about with farty Ford Goldish paint??...I gave you the match....