Thread: Which Monster?
View Single Post
Old 14-06-2015, 12:14 PM   #20
Flip

Bike: M900
See told you there'd be plenty along to offer their views and that is the beauty of Monster's and their owners- it is all a personal thing so go and try as many as you can.

It is true what Pedro says, the 900's are getting on a bit now and if you're not friendly with your spanners then could cost a lot to up keep using a dealer. But I have recently done close to 900 miles in three and a half days on mine without a problem and would have quite happily got back on it for a few more days if work and family would have allowed the time.

For a while I also owned an S4 along with my 900 and to be honest it lacked a little character for me (personal thing again- sorry S4 owners) and then there is the 'look' with all plumbing on show- which is a problem with all water cooled engines in naked bikes, not just Ducati.

I will also second that the 1000 D/S motor is great and is perhaps the best of the original looking Monsters- it wheelies like a mad thing (sorry Doug, I couldn't help it)!!

All the injected bikes will be slightly easier to live with than carb'd and without the complicated ABB, Traction Control etc. of the very latest modes which pretty much puts an end to any in depth home servicing. With regards to the single sided swing arm bikes they divide opinions with the original styling elsewhere on the bike (I like them) but with the one off cost of having to get a dedicated paddock stand.

As with most things motorcycles some of the choice may be decided by how much you want to spend but the twin sided swing arm 800 could be the bargain as they are about the same power as the original 900 but overshadowed by the 1000 and the S2R models. The brakes can easily be upgraded should you feel the need and in my experience it is better to have properly sprung and set up suspension than infinite adjustability which can never be set right due to incorrect springs or poor damping cartridges, so again nothing too major to sort out there and all of which helps you to feel the bike is more 'yours'.

So there you go, some down to looks and some to price and back to that 'personal' thing again.

But whatever one you go for there will always be a wealth of knowledge and help here for you to get the best from it, of that there is no doubt!!