View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 11:01 AM   #13
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I've coveted an ally tank for my 750 for years.
Its the only really sensible material for a motorcycle fuel tank in my opinion.
In fact my winter Dommie will be getting an ex TT500 Yamaha item too....eventually.

I did look into getting one made a while back.
There's a guy in Scotland who's prices were attractive, but he was hard to pin down and actually get one made.
I also have a post-it note on my wall bearing the legend "Parker Fabrications..handbuilt alloy tanks". I believe Henry Cole used them for the tank on his recent salt-flats sprinter. But they'll likely be expensive.
BUT...I do know that Max has looked into getting a few made, for marketing via his "Desmoperformance" operation. Watch this space ?

I do like the look of a single stripe of colour on a plain ally tank....like the old BSA Victor 441 scramblers.
But to be honest, I'd probably leave it plain, with just a stick-on Ducati graphic. That way, you can just polish it with no worry of paint being damaged.

It will happen one day (well, the bike's a keeper and the steel tank won't last forever).

I dare say Stafford will be along soon to gloat about having got a Roadracing tank for tuppence in Belgium........
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote