Thread: m900 project
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 03:05 AM   #115
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
It does....but only really when the cylinders are at 90deg.
My old 750 laverda had the same sort of power characteristics but it would have your fillings out in 50 miles, the vibration was so extreme.
The monster on the other hand, is as smooth as the older inline fours that I'm familiar with.
I think that what I really like is big bangs from big pistons rather than lots of little bangs.
But, for me, only the ducati motor makes that work properly in a twin, and it does so by turning science into magic and design into art.

On the petrol pipe...are you familiar with the rather odd routing which takes the pipe, curving rearward under the frame cross member which supports the tank hinge, and then back forwards again, before heading off sideways to the tap ?
This is to cope with the way the pipe needs to move when the tank is raised and lowered.
Cutting the pipe short may cause issues when you lift the tank, or when you lower it back down again.
The pipe does seem to have a very tight curve in it though....maybe the pipe has weakened with age and collapsed, limiting the flow ?
Or else perhaps been pinched or bent into a restriction as a result of being wrongly routed.....easily done after a tank respray as the position of the fuel filter is a bit vague but quite critical, as I was recently reminded when fitting a new tank myself.
Either way,I'd be inclined to get a new, full length, pukka Ducati replacement pipe.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote