View Single Post
Old 22-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #150
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
So, to update;

Bike now done a couple of thousand miles, loosened up nicely and running well (some of you have seen it) using a little more oil than I would have liked, not 100% sure why (probably rings?) but am hoping it might settle down a bit now that I've reworked the breather and added another cooler? Otherwise sorted a few problems and made a few improvements.

Fitted softer fork springs so that I have some suspension as previously was too hard - now much better.

Re-worked the footpeg position and heatshields, bit of a compromise as I would have liked them a little further back but the brake master cylinder is as close to the pipes as possible - may re-visit this in the future with a different rearset setup?

Extended the sidestand as it was leaning over at an alarming angle - not helped by raising the ride height.

Fitted a TPS to the carbs so that I can have a more flexible ignition map - runs much smoother and throttle response is instant! still a bit lumpy under 3k but that's to be expected given the engine build & lack of flywheel weight - will still blowback through the carbs if running too low RPM in a higher gear but not really a problem and otherwise behaves itself.

Fitted an electric fuel shut-off valve to prevent the possibility of fuel leaking through the carbs when stopped (a few have had this with FCRs).

Had a few 'Loctite & torqueing' sessions to replace/refit bolts that have shaken loose or fallen out!. Fitted extra support brackets between bars & screen to stop the screen from vibrating at certain RPMs!

Today's quest was to fit a second oil cooler as it does run hot; around 90 - 95 degrees at cruising speed on the open road and very quickly gets very hot if in traffic.

I had a problem with the hose setup; I have feed/return hoses for the high cooler and return from the low cooler but was missing a link between the two.

Over the course of the build I have acquired various cooler fittings & hoses including an oil cooler feed hose for a Multistrada which is very long and for now this fits although I have had to make a 'loop' around the intake manifold to lose the excess length!

Anyway works fine (excess is hidden) and initial test run shows around around 5 - 6 degree drop in cruising temp, still heats up in traffic but will cool quicker once moving so looking good.

Here's a few pics taken today;

Does anyone have any info on the oil cooler hose 'O' rings? as I could do with a few spares? Appear to be approx. 8mm (ID) 10mm (ID) & 1mm thick and green in colour (Viton?).

Any suggestions also on custom made cooler hoses, or specifically one to link upper & lower coolers on the left side?

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote