View Single Post
Old 20-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #136
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
First rideout...

Took the bike to the dyno this week to see if I could get it setup but it was popping and farting too much due to inconsistent timing, was like riding a bucking bronco to get there.

Anyway whilst there we tested it with a standard Ducati ignition setup and it ran nice & clean making good power on the run-up, although a tad lean but it wasn't having it with the ignitech.

Back home and I'm messing around with the ignition and we had noticed that my laptop was doing a few odd things with the ignitech software whilst at the dyno so I loaded it onto another laptop and made a new map with the same settings, loaded that and bingo it runs.

Still pops on the overrun, slight improvement after fitting the larger main jets that I got from the dyno shop but it's rideable.

A quick run to calibrate the speedo (need to ride at a known 30mph to get it reading correct) and I return with an oil leak, fortunately turns out to be from the oil cooler fitting crush washer seeping so tighten it up and now leak free, replace melted fuel overflow line - was touching the head and out for a proper ride around my local 'test track' approx 70 miles.

Other than popping on the overrun, occasional spitting back through the carbs at low speed/RPM and a slight surging under 5k it ran very well and it's now loosening up some from the rebuild, a little anti-social with the noise and I got quite a few 'looks' but a good result overall.

Suspension is a bit harsh so I need to get into that, may need softer springs at the front as the forks are ex my 916 and whilst they worked very well on that (although maybe a tad soft) the Monster should be around 20kg lighter. Getting these things right is likely to take me more time as best to make small changes one at a time I guess. I've already changed too much in one go with the build so I reckon I'll be a while optimising everything.

Next step is to get back to the dyno to optimise the fuelling & ignition timing and see what it'll make.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote