View Single Post
Old 18-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
Capo
You Are What You Is

Bike: S4r
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
A good point, and it got me thinking......

When I first read this thread I was puzzled, particularly by the "even with the clutch pulled fully back, the gears still feel engaged" bit.
My analysis was that, either the release mechanism was failing (fluid or mechanical) or there was a fault within the clutch unit itself. It sounded a bit more serious than just hydraulics needing bleeding.
But then, you often don't know who you're talking to on an internet forum, or what their background or experience is.

Every bike I've ever had, has had a clutch which sticks solid when left standing, and won't release by merely pulling the lever when started from cold.
I'm sure many will be familiar with the massive "clunk" when engaging first gear for the first time.
Over the years I've developed a habit of engaging first gear before I start the engine, then pulling the clutch lever fully in and backpedalling the bike such that the sticking clutch causes the engine to pull back against compression. From that point (and while keeping the transmission under load), a sudden backward tug frees the clutch.
The habit developed from pulling a four-stroke single back to "just past tdc" before kickstarting it.
I then reselect neutral and start the engine as normal. (I then usually pull, hold and release the clutch a time or two in the hope of splashing a bit of oil around the plates too).
Selecting first gear then doesn't involve the big "clunk".

This process has become so instinctive over the years, that I do it without thinking.
But to someone who hasn't had lots of bikes, or isn't particularly mechanically minded, what I accept as normal, could appear to be a fairly major fault, particularly when trying to push-start the bike from cold.
So, apologies if I'm stating the obvious, but....in addition to dragging,multiplate clutches nearly always stick at first (which is mostly/partly what johnboy was saying anyway, but I thought I'd elaborate....). I'd be worried if mine didn't stick.
The above procedure is the solution.

After that, bleed the hydraulic fluid before looking much further.
Try and pick a dry day to minimise moisture absorbtion, and either use all the fluid (change the brake fluid too), or rebottle the unused fluid in a clean bottle filled to the brim, otherwise it will absorb atmospheric moisture and deteriorate. (I have to tell you that I find half whiskey bottles to be excellent for this).

Should I get out more....????
Thats how to start a Spitfire
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote