View Single Post
Old 18-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
JMo

cont.

So with the two halves reconnected, and the bike back on two wheels, I could set about reconnecting all the wiring and other gubbins I'd had to remove... and took the opportunity to reroute some of the wiring and tidy it up with zip-ties etc.

I also took off the belt covers to inspect the belts that had come on the replacement engine - didn't want to start the thing and find a belt had snapped, or worse, they weren't even fitted!

Fortunately they looked to be in really good condition - although I'll be replacing them as soon as I can before doing many miles on the bike.

I also took time to clean up the swing arm and exhaust, and generally inspect everything:

So late Friday afternoon, I checked everything was connected, refitted the tank and thought I'd give it a go...

And blow me if it didn't fire up!!!

Unfortunately, during the reassembly, I noticed that my throttle cable had frayed and would need replacing before I could test everything properly... not wanting to wait a number of days to order one in from my usual dealer (Moto Rapido, of course...) I gave Ducati Aylesbury a call and they had one in stock - result!

Of course once I got it next to the old one, I remembered that when I first bought my Monster back in 2002, I had the dealer fit higher bars as part of the deal, and recall they had to get the throttle cable extended (a new one made by Venhill actually) and a longer clutch hose too... and it turns out the stock cable is still slightly too short for my bike with the new Renthal Trials Fatbars on... but a bit of creative re-routing and all is well.

So I guess the only thing left was to refit the bodywork, hook up the gear lever, and go for a test ride!

Fortunately today dried up after rain overnight - although I still took the precaution of spinning up the rear wheel to try and burn as much of the oil off the rear tyre as I could...

And I can confirm that what the engine seller said was true! - the engine is a peach, all the gears work smoothly and the clutch feels strong. It also seems to run a lot cooler than my old engine, although that may well be due to the fact I've left the belly pan off for now - that S4 Challenge pan I have together with the under engine exhaust does make things rather toasty in there!

So, once the belts are done, I'm looking forward to getting a few more miles on Smeegal before the end of the year!

Toot toot for now!

Jenny xx

Last edited by JMo; 18-09-2012 at 02:29 PM..